Time: All Day
Location: : UFV Alumni Hall
Solve It! is an applied research contest hosted by the UFV Alumni Association. This initiative is focused on giving UFV students and recent grads tangible experience as they solve small, but real life, sustainability and climate-related challenges that exist in the Fraser Valley.
Modeled after a project run by the Capital Regional District, this project has a proven track record of providing students and local organizations or governments in the region with a win-win-win situation. Undergraduate students have the opportunity to apply their fresh perspective, relevant skills and knowledge to real world sustainability and climate challenges faced by municipalities, businesses and non-profits in the region, while gaining valuable work experience. The result is further innovation and sustainable community development in the Fraser Valley. Local organizations, students and alumni, and the region win!
Project Sponsorship – What’s involved?
We are seeking out action-based challenges with a sustainability focus that can be solved by a team of undergraduate students from different academic backgrounds over a 2 month period. Challenges can be submitted by municipalities, not-for-profit organizations, institutions and businesses operating in the Fraser Valley. Challenge submissions are due Dec 17, 2015.
Previous Challenge Descriptions:
- How often are the on-street bike racks used in downtown Victoria? Help us determine the utilization rates, and spatially map the locations using GIS.
- Help us reduce the energy we use and emissions we create in our office and through our operations.
- Conduct an analysis to identify the buildings on the Gordon Head Campus that would be best suited for solar thermal energy systems.
- Create a Zero Waste Event Planning guide for the Township of Esquimalt with guidance for corporate events and events hosted on municipal property.
Project Idea Prompts:
- Create an assessment tool that –
- Conduct an analysis of –
- Design a program to address –
- Create a campaign for – (marketing, fundraising, education, outreach)
- Create a media interface of app that assists our customers –
- Research and report best practices for –
For more information or to sign up your challenge, please e-mail email@example.com
Event Location : UFV Alumni Hall
Solve It! Seeking Challenge SubmissionsDate(s): Monday, November 16 - Thursday, December 17
Time: All Day