Education for Sustainable Development Workshops
The two workshops in this series will offer insight into what Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) is and why it is crucial to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. They are experiential and will help participants to articulate what sustainability means and the ways it is intricately connected with issues of social and ecological justice. Each is a stand-alone workshop, but faculty who complete both will receive a certificate of completion issued by Teaching and Learning and the Office of Sustainability at UFV.
Both workshops are free, include a light lunch, and will be held in-person in the Thinker Space (G124) at the Abbotsford Campus.
Workshop 1: Sustainability as Interdependence. Open to all UFV faculty, staff, students and administrators. In this workshop you will:
- Explore concepts of sustainability and sustainable development through the principle of interdependence
- Develop a collective understanding of an “ethics of care”
- Reflect on personal connection to place
- Create a collaboratively developed definition of sustainability specific to UFV
Monday, May 30 from 11am – 3pm and includes a light lunch. Some activities will be held outdoors, so please dress accordingly. Participation is limited to 20 people.
Workshop 2: Transforming Pedagogy Through ESD. Open to faculty and educational staff to deepen and apply their understanding of ESD, and consider how to bring sustainability as a lens into their existing courses. In this workshop you will:
- Consider ESD as holistic pedagogy that includes systems thinking
- Develop course plans and assignments to implement, receiving feedback, support, and resources
- Articulate the ways ESD in your courses can be in alignment with principles of Indigenization
Wednesday, June 1 from 11am – 3pm and includes a light lunch. Some activities will be held outdoors, so please dress accordingly. Participation is limited to 20 people.
Please register for this event by contacting Teaching and Learning at email@example.com