Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Location: : Abbotsford Campus
LSAC Pacific Region Conference
Friday, May 12, 2017
University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford, B.C.
NEW ROOMS: G124 and G126
8:45 am – 3:30 pm
The Academic Success Centre at the University of the Fraser Valley is pleased to invite you to the next Pacific Region Conference! The theme of the Conference is “Safe Spaces,” a topic that has been generating a great deal of interest, discussion, and policy change at institutions across Canada and elsewhere. Originally, and usually, associated with promoting inclusive policies and support for LGBTQ students, “safe space” is starting to be used in the context of creating supportive environments, both physical and abstract, for any marginalized person.
Please join us to discuss how learning specialists and related professionals and para-professionals can create safe spaces within our centres and the programs and services we provide, and how we can contribute to our institutions as safe spaces.
Interpreting “safe spaces” very broadly, post-secondary institutions need to consider both abstract and physical spaces:
- establishing policies, programs and services that support marginalized students.
- facilitating various ways for students to feel connected to our learning centres and our institutions.
- ensuring clear communication to minimize complications as new students make sense of unfamiliar procedures
- creating a culture of inclusion
- acknowledging harsh realities, like rape culture and racism, and actively seeking ways to reduce their existence
- building environmentally-friendly structures
- renovating with principles of universal design
- promoting fragrance-free work and study areas
- providing rooms and equipment for students and other areas to “hang out”
- recognizing that safe space affects faculty and staff as well as students
8:45-9:15 Registration/Check in/Continental breakfast
9:35-10:35 Session 1: “UFV’s Disability Resource Centre Initiative on Safe Space” – Seanna Takacs, Coordinator, University of the Fraser Valley.
10:35-10:50 Coffee break
10:50-11:50 Session 2: “Creating Safe Spaces for ESL Writers: Exploring English Writing through Multicultural Lenses” – Christina Page, Learning Strategist, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
11:50-1:00 Tour of Academic Success Centre/Lunch
1:00-1:30 LSAC Meeting to discuss future directions for LSAC Pacific (Led by Ruth Silverman)
1:30-3:15 Session 3 (With Afternoon Break around 2:15) Panel Discussion, followed by Round-Table: “What is your area doing to foster safe spaces for all students at your institution?”
• A general discussion of initiatives at various institutions may follow.
An optional social gathering at Finnegan’s Pub (near UFV) will follow.
Registration deadline: Monday, May 8th at 9 am.
Event Location : Abbotsford CampusMap Unavailable
LSAC Pacific Regional Conference – Safe SpacesDate(s): Friday, May 12
Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm