Career narrative counselling
Learn to tell your career story:
workshop for self-assessment tools
Career Narrative Counselling Process:
This workshop is for students in their second year or above, and will give provide all the self-assessment tools in order to create a road map that tells your full career story.
This one-on-one career reflective meaning-making process, will help you to make connections between your personality interests; cognitive interests and strengths; values; and your UFV courses, employment, and voluntary experience so that you can:
- Figure out hidden, indirect, outside the box non-traditional career paths with an inner generated direction and preferred criteria (such as knowledge expertise) that draws on your special gifts, talents, and natural intelligences (such as creativity) to create innovative knowledge (new designs, creative stories) with an Arts (Fine Arts, Media Arts), Bachelor of Arts (Sociology, English), or advertising Business degree.
- Identify and address barriers such as being disengaged with a degree major that does not align with your preferred learning style. Figure out how to combine diverse disciplines (Fine Arts & French), major/minors, and multiple intelligences (MI). This can also include combining a science major with a social science (Bio major with Psychology minor).
- Learn to tell your full career story that recognizes your natural strengths, gifts, skills set, and multiple intelligences (MI) so you can confidently share you story with employers, post-graduate schools, and family.
- Recreate a new more meaningful story that draws on interests, strengths and values developed through personal adversity – that can be channeled to a larger purpose.
- Identify and address doubts such as lack of confidence (English or Math skills), and gaps – such as practical experiential learning opportunities in your degree – by developing a growth mindset and happenstance attitudes.
Requirements: Students in their second year or above can contact Najmi.Alibhai@ufv.ca to register, and to check whether this narrative process suits your career needs. Individual narrative appointments will be scheduled at the workshop.