Culturally responsive pedagogy (CRP) is an approach that challenges deficit perspectives and draws on students’ strengths to foster success. Join a community of staff and faculty interested in exploring CRP-informed topics, theories, and activities related to this approach. Facilitated by Teaching and Learning Specialist, Victoria Surtees, the community is a space to share practices and resources, ask questions, and collaborate.
This year, we are scheduling with equity in mind: we will be meeting monthly as a community but there will be two meeting times for you to choose from. Come to the same one every time, or switch it up when you need to.
- Tuesdays 9-10:30;
- Wednesdays, 2:30-4pm.
Below are the dates, topics, and modality:
- Sept. 19th (9-10:30) / 20th (2:30-4pm) – What is CRP and what is this community about? (in-person)
- Oct. 17th (9-10:30) / 18th (2:30-4pm) – Reflecting on our own cultural lens (online)
- Nov. 21st (9-10:30) /22nd (2:30-4pm) – Identifying and redressing bias (in-person)
- Dec. 19th (9-10:30) OR 20th (2:30-4pm) – Draw on students’ culture to shape curriculum and instruction (online)
- Jan. 16th (9-10:30) /17th (2:30-4pm) Bring Real-World issues into the classroom (in person)
- Feb. 20 (9-10:30) /21st (2:30-4pm) -Model High expectations for all students (online)
- Mar. 19th (9-10:30) /20th (2:30-4pm) – Promote respect for student differences (in-person)
- Apr 16th (9-10:30) /17th (2:30-4pm)- Collaborate with peers and local communities (online)
- May 21st (9-10:30) /22nd (2:30-4pm) – Communicate in linguistically responsive ways (in person)
- June 18th (9-10:30) /19th (2:30-4pm) – Consolidate: what have learned and what will we do?
Sign up for the first session to learn more and decide if you’d like to be part of our community.
For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Event LocationMap Unavailable
Community of Practice: Culturally Responsive PedagogyDate(s): Tuesday, December 19
Time: 9:00 am - 10:30 am